Hoover machine

Vacuum cleaner explodes in Germany

Picture: Rieneke Kok

Due to improper operation, a vacuum cleaner exploded at an ARAL petrol station in the German city Witten. A customer had filled up the car with super fuel at the petrol station, although he should have taken diesel. He wanted to use the vacuum to remove the fuel which resulted in an explosion.

Late on an evening in early August, a customer at the ARAL petrol station in Witten wanted to use the vacuum to suck up the fuel out of the tank after he had filled up with the wrong type of fuel. In the process, an explosion occurred. A female companion of the offender was injured in the process. The perpetrator then left the scene. Despite the video surveillance of the petrol station and the recordings of the refuelling process, the investigation into the perpetrator is still ongoing.

Total loss of the machine

The amount of damage has not yet been determined. Due to the severe damage, the tenant Udo Terhorst currently assumes that the machine is a total loss. A tandem vacuum cleaner from WAP worth more than 3.000 euros was used. The costs should be reimbursed by the perpetrator’s car insurance, when then find him.

In order to prevent similar incidents in the future, the leaseholder decided to adapt the signage at the site. In future, a pictogram and explanatory text will indicate that the vacuuming of liquids is prohibited.

Author: admin

Add your comment

characters remaining.

Log in through one of the following social media partners to comment.